Supporting Our Clients With Dignity And Respect

Frequently Asked Questions About Immigration Law

At Cabranes Durkin & Longdin, we know and understand that if you or someone you love is struggling with an immigration issue, you probably have a lot of questions. Immigration laws in the United States are complicated and filled with complex steps and extensive paperwork. With four office locations throughout Wisconsin, including Racine, Milwaukee, Madison and Ladysmith, our experienced immigration attorneys offer answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.

However, we know that every case is different, with its own unique set of facts and circumstances. For answers to your specific questions, we offer a free, initial consultation appointment.

I Obtained A Work Visa To Enter The United States. Can I Bring My Spouse And Family With Me?

If you have applied for and obtained a work visa to enter the United States for employment purposes, you may be able to obtain additional nonimmigrant visas so that your spouse and dependent minor children can join you. Our experienced and bilingual immigration attorneys can help you understand if your spouse and children are eligible for these visas.

How Can I Qualify For Asylum?

To be eligible to apply for asylum, you must be in the United States or at a port of entry to the United States. Asylum seekers must be able to show that they have a past history of harm, threats or a legitimate fear of persecution as a result of their:

  • Nationality or race
  • Religious beliefs or practices
  • Political opinions

To be granted asylum, you must be able to show that you are in danger if you return to your home country.

If I Have Obtained Asylum In The United States, Can I Sponsor My Family Members So They Can Join Me?

If you have been granted asylee status directly within the past two years or entered the country within the past two years, you may be able to sponsor and petition for other family members to join you and obtain asylee status or derivative refugee status.

I Am In The United States On A Visa. Can I Extend My Stay?

The length of time you can stay in the United States will depend on what visa you have. Most nonimmigrant visas allow you to extend your stay. However, to extend your stay, you will have to apply for an extension while you are still in good standing with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

I Am In The United States With A Nonimmigrant Visa. Can I Still Become A Lawful Permanent Resident And Get A Green Card?

The terms of a nonimmigrant visa require that you return to your country of origin. However, you may be eligible to stay in the United States by applying for an adjustment of status. An experienced immigration attorney will be able to help you determine if you are eligible to file an immigration petition to adjust your status to become a lawful permanent resident and obtain a green card.

Consult A Wisconsin Immigration Lawyer For Free

Our immigration lawyers at Cabranes Durkin & Longdin offer a free consultation so that we can better understand the specific facts of your case and answer any questions that you have. To schedule your free appointment, contact our office at 262-439-0439 or send us an email through our website.

Hablamos español.